Friday, October 19, 2012

Thoughts and Happenings

Tonight, I accidentally ate a lot a lot of cookies. Tonight, I also listened to the talk by Elder Christofferson titled Brethren, We Have Work to Do. (To listen to it, which I highly highly recommend, especially if you are male, click here: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/brethren-we-have-work-to-do?lang=eng&media=video.) It talks a lot about how men need to step it up. This isn't the time for priesthood holders to be slacking! Don't get me wrong, women have A LOT to work on, too, especially myself but it amazes me how perfectly inspired our general authorities are. There are a lot of boys around me who act just as that, boys. We need men. We need men who will step up and act in the name of Christ, to take his name upon them, to bring the world his truth. We don't need boys who only care about impressing their peers. We don't need boys who stand idly by not knowing what they are doing with their lives. We don't need boys who compromise the values of those around them. We need those boys to step up! Especially the boys who have the gospel in their lives, you need to be the example to your friends! Pick up your pants, do your hair, shave your face, and take pride in being a child of God. You have the ability to go out and learn and do things, don't get caught in neutral. You will regret the time you lose. Everyday at school I am surrounded by every type of person. There are truly truly some amazing people, even those who don't have the same beliefs as I do, I love them and they amaze me with their goodness. Recently, I had an experience that really opened my eyes. And since that experience this quote has been playing over and over again in my mind: " 'Reverence, " wrote Ruskin, is the noblest state in which a man can live in the world. Reverence is one of the signs of strength: Irreverence once of the surest indications of weakness, '" David O McKay. 

Dead on. Take time to remember the things that matter and show reverence where reverence deserves to be shone. We have a work to do. We are all needed. 

For Motor Development, a couple friends/classmates and I went to the Nursing Home to observe for an assignment. We interviewed a really lovely lady name Karin Grover. She is originally from Germany but moved here when she was 18 because she married a man in the military. Shortly after, he left her. She remarried and had a good husband and family, but she is now lonely and she's only 69. Her father is still in Germany and she isn't healthy enough to go there. It was sad. It really showed me how important family is. That's why I am living close to my family, unless they all move away...Cami. Anyways, after we interviewed Karin we kinda wandered around talking to people and I sat next to this lady name Sandra Lee. I started talking about Grease and Sandra Dee. haha but she didn't like that. She was looking at a giant book of birds, I wont go into much detail but I was asking a lot of questions and just trying to visit with her. Well, the guy that was with me was sitting next to me and after I asked her like the 20th question she was like "You married her? Is she always like this? You're going to have to get used to this." hahaha and then she turned the page and the bird had its beak open and she was like see even the bird is yawning! Ah. Shot down by a lady in the nursing home. I guess I shouldn't talk so much lol. It was hilarious and then she asked if Hannah was our kid. At the same table that Sandra and I were at, there was a lady across from us saying a bunch of stuff in spanish, a man and a woman arguing about what time it was and a lady that was asleep. It was nice, sad, eye opening, and rewarding all at the same time. 

It's the weekend!! Woo hoo. :)
Have a wonderful Saturday and Sunday!

Love, 
Kelli

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny about Sandra Lee!! haha She probably appreciated it deep down. Glad you were able to bring your daughter around :)

    ReplyDelete